Business decisions impact people and the planet in countless and profound ways. Some impacts are routinely measured and reported—such as pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and lapses in social responsibility. Yet there are many more impacts that we don’t address—because they are either difficult to measure, or are not yet integrated into business and sustainability decisions.
The Sustainability and Health Initiative for NetPositive Enterprise (SHINE) is moving quickly to quantify all the ways in which companies impact our world, because we manage what we measure, and neglect what we don’t. Our ability to minimize the harm we do—and maximize the good—matters deeply to the health of present and future generations.
A New Unit of Measurement: The Handprint
Many companies are already changing the world for the better—by greening their products, launching programs for sustainability in their communities, or improving the lives of employees and their families. Each of these initiatives is a positive business impact—what we call a “handprint.” We compare a company’s handprint to its footprint, and when its handprint is larger than its footprint, the company becomes a NetPositive Enterprise.
Learn More About Handprinting:
- Handprinter.org: Explore Handprinter’s website to learn more about the original web-based application that measures an individual’s positive impact, and watch a quick video to understand how handprinting works. Read more >>
- Environmental Handprinting (Trim Tab): An article that explains what handprinting is, and how you can apply the concept in your own life and business.
- Handprints, Not Footprints (Time Magazine): Handprinter appeared on Time’s list of “10 ideas that are changing your life.” Read more >>
- Handprints: A Remedy for Reputation Risk: Daniel Goleman, Co-Director of Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations, delivers a compelling argument for how corporations can improve their reputation by handprinting. Read more >>
- Owens Corning CSO Shares the Value of a Sustainable Handprint (GreenBiz): Frank O'Brien-Bernini, VP and chief sustainability officer at Owens Corning, shares how handprinting helps to advance sustainability efforts. Read more >>
Photo courtesy of handprinter.org.