The Sustainability and Health Initiative for NetPositive Enterprise (SHINE) helps corporations across all sectors measure and accelerate the ways in which they help the world become a healthier, more sustainable place. We are setting a bold vision for companies to factor their impact on our health into all business decisions, and act in ways that will protect us and our planet.
2016 SHINE NetPositive Summit:
Learn from world-changing thinkers and innovators in the health and sustainability community. Join leading scientists, academics, and business leaders to leverage the latest research in sustainability and health.
In the spirit of NetPositive impact—doing more good than harm—we work with companies to measure their current positive impacts that benefit people and the planet, while also helping to identify new opportunities to create positive change. A “positive impact” may include striving to raise population well-being via healthy workplaces and meaningful work, or improving the health of the planet through aiding the conservation and regeneration of natural resources.
Companies often work ambitiously toward reducing the amount of harm that they do and measure their progress in terms of a reduction in their environmental footprint. SHINE companies go beyond the footprint and pay equal attention to how they can also make positive contributions to the environment and our health—we call these positive impacts handprints.
We believe the pursuit of better health and well-being—as well as the measurement of positive impacts that benefit people and the planet—is the next frontier of corporate sustainability.
SHINE is working to define important metrics, develop an evidence base, and measure how a corporation improves:
- Our environment
- The health of the general public
- The lives of the corporations’ employees, families, and communities in which they do business.
The SHINE Vision for NetPositive Enterprise
Our Vision: To demonstrate opportunities for positive business impacts that will improve the health of people, planet, and enterprise through collaborative research.
Through academic and business demonstration projects, we expect to generate the evidence to move the needle forward on sustainability and health by:
- Empowering businesses and their stakeholders to identify priorities, leverage points, and hot spots: Cutting-edge life cycle assessment involves identifying all the ways in which a corporation can reduce its footprint. Growing a handprint works the same way, and corporate leaders can reap the same benefits of using resources more efficiently and effectively.
- Considering workforce well-being as a driver for performance. Going beyond wellness programs and health and safety standards, and measuring the impact of the workplace structure on the health and well-being of workers, allows for the implementation of systems and programs that enhance engagement, productivity, and ultimately business profitability. A strong corporate commitment to people means striving to make employees and their families better off because of their employment and their quality of work life.
- Managing through measurement: Applying a rigorous framework to sustainability reporting enables businesses to compare their shrinking footprint with their growing handprint, and manage for NetPositive sustainability on a growing set of impact dimensions.
- Engaging more of the business in sustainability: Tapping, rewarding, and stimulating more success from divisions whose work already addresses employee health, community health, operational, or supply chain efficiency will lead to faster change on a much greater scale.
- Aligning sustainability with core business goals: By embracing sustainability as a core business principle, corporate leaders pave the way to business innovation and customer loyalty, and put into place a powerful approach to managing reputational risk. Considering all business decisions through the lens of sustainability helps solidify the brand as a global corporate citizen.
- Transforming sustainability into the pursuit of boundless opportunity: With handprinting, unwanted impacts anywhere on earth are fair game for creative entrepreneurship.
Photo by Liuser | iStockphoto